Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Yorkshire Residential

We went on a new residential trip with year 6 this year.  I was happy to leave Wales behind for a change.  The smell of damp combined with dirty wet kids is now a distant memory.  We stayed in Dobroyd Castle for three days and it was a great experience.  It is up on a hillside and surrounded by an outdoor activity centre.  The activities were challenging for kids as well as adults.  I felt terrified on several occasions.  A cold sweat comes over me even now when I think about doing the trapeze.  There was a terrifying hydro type pole that you had to climb up and them leap off of, presumable to my doom.  I had forced all of the children in my group to climb up that pole and leap leap/stumble off so I felt requires to do it myself.  I really wanted to not pee myself while I was up there as well.  Once again, I was given all the fat kids in one group.  It's for the best because we get tired out at about the same rate.  When I motivated them, I was saying it to myself as well but when a child gets cramp on the third run of a ladder you have to sigh a bit.  I was grateful on their behalf that we didn't require wet suits this year.  The food was good and the service at night was incredible.  Also, they washed all of of the kids' wet clothes and brought them back after tumble drying them!  We always have such a trial getting kids to own up to the wet dirty clothes but not this year.  And instead of a trailer with a grubby sofa to sleep on, I had my own room with on suite bathroom.  The list of things that were great about this trip could go on and on!  
A family of duckling that weren't put off by 71 kids canoeing around them
 

Our lovely little lake

Leap young man!
The nightline where pupils travel through an obstacle course with these blindfolds on
Mummified teacher in sporting pose
The terrifying trapeze!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sweet jesus that trapeze looks scary!