Thursday, October 23, 2008

Matriculation
We had our formal entering university day called Matriculation last weekend. It is a lot like a graduation by shorter and with more walking. I don't take a good photograph these days. Here I am in the Reception tent. Basically what we did was gather for a coffee/tea reception and then when on the matriculation walk down to the Sheldonian examination centre. There was some Latin and a speech from the Dean. People were coughing through pretty much every second of the speech though. I guess its cold and flu season. They were also taking photos constantly during the ceremony. Every camera makes a different noise when it goes off as well so it was a bit annoying. We were all supposed to be stand still and solemnly listening. I glared at one girl as she took 5 full flash photos by holding her camera over her head. I take a lot of photos too but you don't need to document every second of the day.
We all had to wear our gown and caps. The ladies have a black tie as well and they can wear a different type of hat but it is a confusing hat. I wore the men's one because I knew how to put it on. That may sound odd but the hat is really weird. It looks like a rhino. I sat down with a group of students who were all doing their masters in creative writing. They all retied their ties to look like mine which was tied in a Windsor knot. I felt like such a trend setter but I did have to admit to the that the secretary of registration had tied to for me. We had several cups of tea and fancy biscuits and then we all gathered for a speech before heading on the slow 15 minute procession down to the hall. Tourists took our pictures the whole way there. There were hundreds of us walking down there. It felt like a graduation. Then there was a 10 minute ceremony and we all walked back. There was a group photo and then I met Krista for the reception lunch to which we were allowed to bring a guest. We drank and ate quite a bit and then headed to the pub with Robert and his friend. He is in my college. I met him on the bus in the morning. He was very interesting and the four of us spent a lovely afternoon in Oxford. Krista and I slept like babies on the train ride home after all those mid afternoon drinks. The weather continues to be beautiful although slightly cooler. There was a bit of a frost this morning so I have booked a trip to Spain. I leave on Sunday and I am greatly looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Apes,

What a great couple of stories!