Monday, March 07, 2011

Isle of Wight
I am relaxing Sunday away before I head back to work again tomorrow. I have taken to listening to audio books while I do the house work. I am now listening to A Year Living Biblically. It's interesting and it's like company around the house. I have just listened to the portion that talks about not being allowed to wear any fabrics that combine wool and linen. There is no reason for this rule given in the Bible but there are people who can come to your house and inspect your clothes to see if they comply. Those that don't should be put into storage. Hmmm. I haven't updated in some time so I have some photos to put up finally. Over the half term break I went to the Isle of Wight. The weather was unpleasant at first and our ferry crossing was less than picturesque. The second day was quite nice though. The island is only 30 miles from side to side so we saw most of the place. The biggest tourist point of the place is called the Needles. It is a couple of rock spikes that stick out of the sea at a point on the coast. The cliffs are made of multi coloured sand. There are approximately 21 colours of sand and they are gathered in a shop where you can fill up little moulds in different shapes with the various colours. I filled up a mould of the Isle of Wight. It is a work of art. Because it was February it wasn't that busy but not everything was open for business. For this reason we did quite a bit of hiking and driving around. It's nice just to walk along the beach even if the weather isn't great. While it was raining we went shopping and saw a movie. I saw the King's Speech. I really enjoyed it. I had been thinking about seeing Black Swan but most people who have seen it have described it as bleak at best. The whole place was really quaint and english. There was a very nice sunset and I had one of the best meals I have had in a restaurant in a long time. We had dinner at an Italian place in the centre of town. I had a risotto with cheese and mushrooms which was the most delicious thing I have had in ages. The was a girl a few seats down from us who had the same thing but was clearly on a date so just picked at it. I wanted to take it from her! Girls on dates: Get a grip! I was listening in on these two girl's conversation on the tube the other day in which they were taking about a first date that one of the girls had been on. He had been secretly "testing" her on the date because he didn't like girls who didn't eat all their food. So he chose the food she would eat in the restaurant and waited to see if she would eat all of her dinner. He told her at the end of the meal that she had "passed" his test because she had eaten all her dinner. What an idiot! I don't know which on of them was the bigger idiot though because she was delighted to have passed his test and thought things were going really well between them! If anyone ordered for me in a restaurant and assumed to know what I would want I would be furious and that's just the tip of the ice burg on that situation! At any rate, the meal I ate was fabulous and I did eat it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! The "update" gods have smiled down on me--an update!

There is a National geographic article on the wool/linen thing in the late 70's, but I don't have the magazine anymore. It all seems a bit silly, but maybe it's really difficult to mix the two fabrics and so a 'laziness law' was created to cut down on people's work day. And really those two fabrics seem like they would be so nice to waer...warm wool and cool linen--seems like the 8th century version of gore tex, micro-wicking material in my view.

Don't get me started on the sand...did you eat some? That's what all the kids do nowadays.