Saturday, November 01, 2008

Madrid
Mel and I took a holiday in Madrid for my half term break. I had a week off in October and really wanted to go somewhere out of the UK. Madrid was a loving and relatively inexpensive option. It got a little more expensive because we missed our flight on the way there but it wasn't terrible. We caught another one later that day and headed out. We spent the afternoon trying on fancy dresses and eating sushi in the airport. We flew with Air Comet which I wouldn't particularly recommend because of their surly staff and rigid check-in policies. The hotel we stayed in was very nice though. It was in a great location as well. It was right in the middle of the action in the historical part of Madrid. We took a bus tour to see the huge number of historical building on the first day. It was sunny and warm that day while it was snowing at home in London. The next day though it was quite cold and rainy so we did indoor things like museums and galleries. The last day we just walked around and shopped a bit. We didn't really have a pressuring schedule of events and didn't know what time it was the whole time we were there which I liked. I also liked the fact that I could just leave my cellphone behind and not worry about anyone calling me. Sorry to those of you who were trying to get in touch! Here is a bit of a look at our short trip:

This is our roof top patio at the Vincci Capitol Hotel. The first photo is our view from the roof.

It was very sunny so it was difficult to actually see the picture you were taking on the display screen of the camera. That is one of the downfalls of the digital age I think. This is the square near our hotel.
You can let your dog wander off leash here which is nice. Everyone had really lovely looking dogs of all different breeds. In London there are pretty much just pit bull mutt crosses. At least in my neighbourhood. There are very good about the poop and scoop rules too. The streets are very very clean.
This is an example of the lovely balconies on the fronts of the building in this neighbourhood. This is down a big shady street near the centre of town.

This is my first ever video. I don't know if it will play or not though. It is of a street vendor and a snake or perhaps a ferret.

This guitar playing beer bottle is Tio Pepe. It is a famous landmark on a large plaza. You can see it from miles away.

Mel sitting in front of a big archway.
The first night we were there, there was a beautiful sunset. It was kind of blocked my a building though. This was the best shot I could get.

This is the inside of the train station. It is really nice and tropical in there. The trees are huge! You can just see a school group in the middle of it about 200 metres away.

Here is a Spanish dog sitting on a Spanish old lady.


I might do another Spain post tomorrow after I have looked through the rest of the pictures. Hope you had a happy Halloween.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi April

I have just caught up on your blog. I envy you being by the seaside. It was my very favorite part of my trip to England years ago....Sound like you are doing well and enjoying everything, that's great! Looking forward to seeing you at Christmas...keep blogging.
Aunt Michele

Anonymous said...

Hi Apes,

FYI: the "guitar playing beer bottle" is actually a sherry bottle. Tio Pepe is one of the most famous brands of sherry.