Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Edinburgh Zoo

Catching my breath
We have kicked off the summer holidays with a trip up to Scotland.  We are heading to the Commonwealth Games to watch the athletics and see the sites.  I'll cover the games in another post.  I enjoyed it very much even though I am not very familiar with our athletics squad.  I know more about England's squad (vicariously through Taylor) so I was surprised to see the depth of talent in the Canadian team.  I don't really think of Canada as a "summer sports" kind of country but they really have done well!

Anyways, we have one more round of that to attend before I write it up.  Here is the delights of the
Sleepy pig in a mud puddle
The meerkat sentinal
Zoo.  As zoos go, it is a reasonable one.  It is built on a steep hill that goes up approximately 500 feet to plateau at a view point over Edinburgh and the surrounding countryside.  There was the usual zoo issues surrounding a large enclosure with no creature visible.  You are looking for ages but you are never sure if there is a tapier in there or not.  Taylor's main desire to visit the zoo was to see their set of pandas.  Only the male panda Sweetie would come out.  Sunshine stayed in her nesting box.  Not that Sweetie was that great to look at. He lay on his back beside a big pile of his own fresh poo.  You are only allowed to look at the pandas for 10 minutes and you have to prebook a time slot.  To be honest, I wouldn't bother.  Everything else was just fine though.  A lot of walking up hill but worth a visit.






 
I think he fainted
Chillin'

Big kitty!

 

 
 
And a pygmy hippo to finish!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics and post as always April ----HAPPY BIRTHDAY, wishing you happiness and laughter the whole yer through!
Aunt Michele

Anonymous said...

Well done!
Uncle Matt Hayes