Thursday, February 28, 2013

School Inspection and prospective holidays

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Buckingham now waiting to meet up with friends for breakfast.  We are having an oxford reunion lunch and shopping day.  It is as grey and rainy as ever but I think it will still be a nice day.  This half term has been so busy.  We started with a bang because right after Christmas we had our government inspection.  It was one of the most stressful times I have ever had at work.  You get half a day's notice before the inspection team arrives and when the phone call came, I was on my way out the door with half the senior leadership team to take the chamber choir on a trip!  Needless to say,mi was left with the kids and they headed back to the school.      We are doing a concert with a mass children's choir and the bbc singers and we were meant to be rehearsing for that but I couldn't think of anything except my action plan for the second I stepped back into the school building.  I don't think I slept for about three days.  We got an outstanding rating in the end though which was what everyone has been working towards for the past three years So it was an excellent achievement for us.  I got a good mention in the report at the end as well which was great.  All of my lessons that were observed were rated outstanding as well which was a good feeling.

I think I booked a holiday the second it was over. I went out to dinner with friends but it was all so exhausting most of us just wasted our dinners.  We let a few weeks pass and now that we have recovered from it all suitably, we went out for drinks and a meal as a staff.  Unfortunately, I have spent the rest of the weekend recovering from the drinks!  Since I have been writings this, the rain has now turned to snow.  I hope it keeps going all night so we could possibly have one of those snow days I love some much.  That way I could just stay in bed and read one of the many books I start but never get round to finishing.  We are almost at the half term break and I am looking forward to a few trips around the uk.  I would like to go and visit my friend Marcia who been trapped in Germany due to her inadequate visa.  I miss having her around to hang out with here.  I don't really need an excuse to go on holiday so perhaps I will pay her a visit in the half term too!

I have been inspired to do some baking recent after watching the Mary Berry story on bbc 2 so I have done what most hobby enthusiasts do, I bought some baking gear that I don't really need and can only use for a specific purpose (and likely only one time).  I am going to make some fine Easter themed cakes though.  Pictures to follow if they don't look too disfigured.  We are incubating 10 eggs at school as well which I am looking forward to.  I wanted the eggs to be swan eggs but apparently that is impractical.  I think there is a wealth of learning for children in raising large aggressive birds but apparently they would "thrive in the school environment".  A likely story!  This is progress though because my dreams of obtaining a school tortoise was thwarted on health and safety grounds as well. Apparently they can move faster than you would think and they bite a bit.

Well, I had better get out of bed and make my way down to the breakfast hall.  I think I'll pass on the pool though.  I might yawn uncontrollably and go under.  I am officially too old for drinking and late nights.

No comments: