Monday, August 15, 2011

Western Adventure
We have gone on an outdoorsy adventure holiday. When I say outdoorsy I don't mean camping. I mean driving around western Canada and then sleeping in a low budget hotels. I haven't been out west since I came out with Dad in the 90s. It is gorgeous out here. Around every corner is another crystal clear blue lake or a rushing river valley. It was great to stay with Mandie and Steve for a few days and we will see them again at the end of the holiday. While we were in Calgary we went to the Zoo and the Taste of Calgary food sampling evening. It was delicious! I love pulled pork on soft little rolls. After Calgary we traveled to Banff and Lake Louise. The postcard blue waters of Lake Louise were as beautiful as advertised but I almost found it a bit creepy. We canoed on the the lake and you cannot
see an inch below the surface of the water, it is just this creamy blue swimming pool colour. It was completely placid and glassy. On the wildlife front we have seen a few creatures but not our main target, the bear. We saw a dead one on the road and I assumed that would count as a sighting but apparently it does not. We did see a linx though which was a lucky sighting. Here are a few high light photos from the trip so far.



Takakkaw Falls in Yoho National Park

A mountain view towards Lake Louise

Canoeing on Lake Louise

A big fat prairie dog!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey sorry I wasn't around today--I was away at McMaster hospital for my once a decade poking and prodding session. Your pics look great, and I'm sorry that you did not see a bear.I think that a lynx is a better and more rare animal anyway, and the chances that it will rip you apart with it's jaws is less likely.
Hope to chat with you soon.

M