Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Moses wanders the desert...
Happy late thanksgiving!!! I had a lovely dinner at Krista's place with her flatmates. We had chicken and roast veg and pie. It was very nice. I asked the kids at school if they knew what special day it was and they hadn't even heard of Thanksgiving. Shocking. We had a rather amusing assembly today about religious holidays but Canada didn't get covered. There was a Sikh and Jewish holiday going on though which is more representative of our school population than Canada is. Anyways, the one teacher Debbie was telling the kids about Moses wandering in the desert for 40 years. She was really trying to bring home for them what it would have been like to live without all of life's conveniences for 40 years in an inhospitable climate. Unfortunately she briefly mixed up her words and the assembly descending into chaos. She jumbled together to gaming systems names', Play Station and Game boy and ended up saying 'Can you imagine living in the desert for 40 years without Play Boy?' Our head teacher had to bite her own finger to stop herself from continuing to laugh 15 minutes after the remark was made. Funnily enough I think it was lost on many of the year 4 and 5 students who just laughed because other people were laughing. I thought I would have to leave the gym! Things are so much more funny when you aren't allowed to laugh!
Induction Dinner
I have been having a great time at Oxford recently! I had my induction dinner and it was so nice! The people were really cool and interesting. I go to the international students college, Kellogg College. It is the least legitimate sounding of all the colleges, I know. The dinner was fantastic! Just have a look at the menu! There was so much cutlery and extremely fine table manners going on there! Everyone was sitting with napkins gently folded in the lap. There was water on the table being serviced in our college's bottles. The guy beside me called the water over to inform him that it was tap not bottled water! What a loon! There was a lovely wine with every course and we ended with out College Mint. I have saved the mint. I met all the people in my class and they seem friendly. They are mostly Asian I would say. I think I am one of the only part time students. The lecturer was a very good speaker as well. I was worried the material would be quite dry with class titles such as Error Analysis and Assessing Meaning but he is making it interesting. The professor teaches in the style of one of my undergrad professors how I really enjoyed listening to and who's class I was successful in. It made me feel less worried about how this is going to go. Another great bonus is how flexible the scheduling has been. I can only go to university on Thursdays and next year will only be able to go on Wednesdays. They are going to format next year's schedule of class with me in mind! How awesome is that? They said they wouldn't offer a part time course if they couldn't be flexible. It's all very exciting. I feel like my brain has been switched back on after a long period of inactivity. I am still really enjoying work and now I have a great school programme too. I would have to say I am very pleased with my lot in life at the moment. I go around smiling a lot these days. It is a change from the last school year in a big way.
Autumn
The leaves are changing colour here quite nicely, especially near to Whitchurch, my school. They look especially nice in the morning sun. It continues to be a perfect autumn here. It is my favourite season because it isn't too hot or cold. I am so tired these days but satisfied with things. I had better head to bed though as my throat has been sore today. My flatmate has cold and I don't' want to catch it. I would like to give a shout out to Nicole as she begins what I hope will be a speedy recovery from surgery and a congrats to Matt for quitting his job! You two are a very proactive couple these days! I am making plans for the arrival of a few friends from Canada and for my half term break. I am going to get a last minute flight to anywhere that is cheap and enjoy myself for a few days in the south. Next week I am putting on a production of Stomp with the kids which I had better get cracking on now! Hope you are all enjoying this lovely autumn :o)

No comments: